Friday, April 1, 2011

Changing Teacher's Status

I agree with Kati Haycock's declaration to change the status of United States teachers. She proposes that the U.S. must "enrich the rigor and relevance of teaching programs and ratchet up their admission requirements." I think that if a teacher's education is expanded and their requirements for being a teacher are raised, the society will have more respect for teachers. Students, especially, have no respect for teachers. Eavesdropping on my peer's conversations, I hear that they do not like or respect certain teachers because many teachers do not know how to teach and they know absolutely nothing about the subject that they teach. My problem with many of my teachers, is the fact that they are unable to answer a question about the unit that is being studied efficiently and in many thorough ways. Science, for example, is a terribly difficult subject that is hard to grasp. My teacher cannot answer hardly any question because he either does not know anything about the unit or he cannot find different ways to explain the answer to my questions in a way that is easy for me to grasp. If he could explain more thoroughly, I would respect him so much more as a teacher. Some may say that with more required schooling for teachers, there will be less people that would want to be teachers. This is not neccessarily true. As a student that respects teachers and the teaching proffession, there will be more students interested in becoming teachers. With respect, comes interest.

1 comment: